Thursday, March 6, 2014

Tech Tac Toe tool ( wordle)

 Wordle: 
Wordle is a tool for creating text clouds from any text you choose. It is fast, simple, and can be used for many different things in the classroom for students. Words that appear bigger represent the most occurring words in the text. Using wordle is a great way to teach children many things such as spelling words, story predictions, vocabulary, and many more. It is visual and also the colors make it attractive and inviting for students to engage.
To create, go to http://www.wordle.net/

Experience: Creating wordle was much easier than I thought. I just copied my text and pasted it into the website and used the randomize botton to select the style that I wanted. Eventhough, I experienced some difficulty placing it into my website and into this blog, I still had fun using it and my kids seemed to enjoy using it.

Sample lesson: 
Below is word cloud I used to introduce the book, "Presidents' Day" to my five year old son. I copied and pasted into wordle.net and then used layout, color and font bottons to designed it the way I like. In this activity, I asked my son to look at the wordle to predict what kind of book we were going to read. I asked, " what do you think these words talk about? He answered: I think it's about Presidents because I see a lot of presidents in it. " Can you form a sentence with any of the words you see on this chart?, I asked. "Yes, it's President Day today, " he responded.


Tech Tac Toe tool ( wordle) Tech Tac Toe tool ( wordle)

No comments:

Post a Comment