Thursday, March 13, 2014

StrangerMine

I found this digital investigation discussion a great learning experience. It has alerted me to be watchful of how I use today’s social networking Medias. Today’s use of social networking has paved ways for people to be digitally identified. In one of my technology class discussions, my mate and I were asked to do a stranger search. In this activity, what we did was use different sites to tap information on a person we did not know. Repeated this activity with me and to my surprise, all information about me popped out: from my family to job life. I never stopped asking myself questions like who put me here and when was it posted. It was shocking to know that everything about me is out there. Can I erase or remove this information? The answer is no. It is like my digital tattoo; it is highly visible and hard to remove.
http://wiki.ubc.ca/images/1/11/DigitalTatoo.jpg
It is true that social networking is a great way of leverage opportunities for social interaction and personal marketing. It seems fun and enjoying, sharing pictures and many more through social networking sites. However, I feel that caution must be taken as to what and how information is shared. Also, before posting anything on the internet, we should look at how that information could affect lives down the road: For example, posting kids pictures might be cute but would other people embrace them or how would the kids feel if their college mates see it? I feel that it is important that all students be educated about using social networking to create their digital tattoo. This will serve as a guide for posting things online. Students will be careful not to harm their reputation by what they post on the internet. They need to know that the digital tattoo, or image that they put out there, is how others will see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment